Key words and phrases
1. musician : n 音乐家，与其同根的常见词汇：music : n 音乐；musical : a 音乐的， musically : adv 从音乐上来说的。 Please do the exercises:
1). The ____ of the Beatles became very successful and famous during the 1960s.
2). Although he was born in America, he could play many Chinese ____ instruments.
3). Folk music, the blues and rocknroll remained _____ and culturally distinct in the 1960s.
4). Bob Dylan, a famous folk ____ in America, was best known for his anti-war song.
Answers: music, musical, musically, musician
2. consciousness: n 意识、知觉，与其同根的常见词汇：conscious: a 有知觉的、有意识的 = aware，反义词：unconscious = unaware; 副词：consciously, unconsciously。 常用搭配：be aware/unaware of sth; be aware/unaware that.
1). I was ____ that I had made a mistake.
2). ____ did not return to the injured man for two hours.
3). When a person immigrates to a new country, he should ______ adapt himself to the new environment.
Answers: conscious, consciousness, consciously
3. originate: v 发源、发生,与其同根的常见词汇：origin : n 起源、发源； original : a 原始的，新颖的；n 原着、原稿， originality : n 创新、创造力
1). The use of steam originated many new reforms.
2). I wonder the origins of life on the earth.
3). The Indians were the original inhabitants of North America.
4). The quarrel originated in conflicts between the two families.
5). Her design is of great originality.
4. imitator: n 模仿者，联想：imitate: v 模仿；imitation : n 模仿
5. limitless : a 无限制的，与其同根的常见词汇：limit : n 极限，v 限定；limited ; a 有限的，limitation: n 局限
1). His knowledge about insurance is rather ______.
2). His energy seems to have no ____.
3). A wise man knows his ____.
4). In front of the ____ ocean, he found he was rather insignificant.
Answers: limited, limits, limitation, limitless.
6. penetrating: a 穿透的，贯穿的，动词：penetrate; 名词：penetration
7. participant: n 参加者，参与者，与其同根的常见词汇：participate: v, participation : n 固定搭配：participate in sth.
8. take over: 接管、接任、
When he retired, his son took over business from him.
9. take on : 担任，雇用
1). He has taken on a new job.
2). The employer takes on twenty more workers.
10). composer: n 作曲家，动词 compose，名词 composition
11). inspire: v 鼓舞，产生灵感，inspiration : n 灵感
Genius is 1% of inspiration and 99% of hard work.
12. invariably: ad 不变地，同根词：variable: a 可变的；variety: n 各种各样，变化； vary : v 变化；various : a 各种各样的
13. sake : n 缘故；for the sake of sth为了…的缘故，好处
The company has decided for economys sake to close down this department.
14. harmony : n 协调， harmonize: v使…和谐；harmonious : a 和谐的
15. in a sense: 从某种意义上说。
In a sense, you are right.
16. it goes without saying that不言而喻，理所当然
It goes without saying that you will be paid for the overtime work.
Analyze the difficult sentences:
1. The new music was built out of materials already in existence…… (p1)
句子分析：词组in existence现有的、已有的；out of = from.
2. The three forms remained musically and culturally distinct, and even as late as 1965, none of them were expressing any radically new states of consciousness. (p1)
句子分析：主语：The three forms；谓语（系动词）：remained；表语：distinct. musically and culturally是副词修饰distinct。as late as 1965时间状语，none没有一个；new states of consciousness新的意识状态。Radically修饰new.
3. What happened, as well as it can be put into words, was this. (p2)
句子分析：主语：What happened，主语从句；was this系表结构；as well as在本句中应理解为：as…as，像。。一样好。put inyo words: 用文字表达
4. They freely took over elements from jazz, from American country music, and as time went on from even more diverse sources. (p2)
句子分析：本句核心形式：take over sth from sth从…中汲取…；as time went on意思是：随着时间的推移，如：as time goes on, our vocabulary is enlarging gradually.
Diverse: a 不同的，各种各样的，相当于various.如：
New York is a very culturally diverse city.
5. What developed was a music readily taking on various forms and capable of an almost limitless range of expression. (p2)
句子分析：主语：What developed，后面是一个系表结构，readily taking on various forms and capable of an almost limitless range of expression分别是现在分词短语和形容词短语做定语，修饰music.另外：take on意思：具有；be capable of doing sth有能力做某事。
6. Electronics did, in fact, make possible sounds that no instrument up to that time could produce. (p3)
7. Electronic amplifiers also made possible a fantastic increase in volume, the music becoming as loud and penetrating as the human ear could stand, and thereby achieving a total effect, so that instead of an audience of passive listeners, there were now audiences of total participants, feeling the music in all of their senses and all of their bones. (p3)
句子分析：本句话非常复杂，可分为四个层次：第一层次是主句：Electronic amplifiers also made possible a fantastic increase in volume；第二层次从the music becoming直至句尾是现在分词的独立主格结构，做伴随状语。第三层次：so that引导的结果状语从句；第四层次从feeling到句尾为现在分词短语，又是分词做伴随状语。
8. With records at home, listeners imitated these lighting effects as best as they could, and heightened the whole experience by using drugs. (p4)
句子分析：With records at home方式状语；imitated和heightened两个并列谓语动词；as best as one could尽力做某事,如： I sear I will teach him a lesson as best as I could.