Learn new words and phrases
1．statistics: n 统计数字；keep statistics; statistical: a 统计的；statistician: n 统计员
2. diplomat: n 外交家，由此联想得到：
diplomacy: n 外交，外交手腕；diplomatic: a 外交的；请对比：diploma: 文凭
3. exploit: v 开发、开采、剥削，由此联想得到：
exploitable: a 可开发的；exploited: a 被开发的；exploitation : n
1). The workers in capitalist countries are cruelly exploited by the capitalists.
2). There are laws against the exploitation of child labor.
3). His highly exploitable talent cant create wealth for society if he doesnt make great efforts.
4. abuse: v/n 滥用，如: abuse ones authority 滥用职权
5. execute: v 实行、实行，将…处死，由此联想得到：
executive: a实行的，决策权的，n 行政领导 CEO=chief executive officer首席实行官；execution: n 实行、实行。
1). You shouldnt be slow in the _____ of your duties.
2). The soldiers ____ the captains orders as soon as they received the call.
3). After the discussion of the ____ committee, the labor law was put into force in may, 1994.
Answers: execution, executed, executive
6. guilt: n 有罪、内疚；guilty: a 内疚的；guiltless: a 无罪的
7. employee: n 雇员；由此联想得到：
employ: v 雇佣；employment: n 雇佣；employed: a 被雇的，有工作的；unemployed: a 失业的；employer: n 雇主
1). The police ______ force to break up the crowd.
2). Many ____ were thrown out of job as a result.
3). Business activities were greatly reduced and almost 60% of the workers were out of ______.
4). During the Depression, many workers were ______.
Answers: employed, employees, employment, unemployed
8. immigrant: a 移民的，n 移民；immigrate: v ; immigration: n
1). During the gold rush, California attracted many immigrants from other states.
2). Many Italians immigrated to the United States and Canada.
3). In the 1980s, a law against the immigration of Asian peoples was put into practice.
9. deport: v 驱逐出境，由此联想得到：
10. be deserving of 值得、应得
His efforts are certainly deserving of praise.
New words from text B
11. deny : v 否认，拒绝接受，后接doing.
He denied lying to us.
12. ineffective: a无效的，反义词：effective.
13. watch over: 看护、看管。
They use specially trained dogs to watch over their sheep at night.
14. in unison: 一致地，协调地
They sang Happy Birthday to me in unison.
15. pay back: 偿还，报复，回报
1). If you lend me 50 Yuan, I will pay you back on Friday.
2). Ill pay him back for the trick he played on me.
Analyze the important sentences among the text:
1. There are estimated to be more than 20000 overseas domestic servants working in Britain (p1)
1). There are a lot of people in the meeting room.
2). There will be a meeting tomorrow.
3). There used to be a church at the corner of the street.
4). There happened to be an old friend of mine in the hotel.
5). There is sure to rain tomorrow.
6). There stands a bank next to my school.
另外，working in Britain是现在分词作定语，修饰domestic servants。
2. Of these 20000, just under 2000 are being exploited and abused by their employers, according to a London-based campaigning group which helps overseas servants working in Britain. (p1)
句子分析：Of these 20000是状语，under 2000是数词作整个句子主语，are being exploited and abused是现在进行时态的被动语态做谓语，剩余的是状语。另外，under是低于…不到…的意思；---based设在…的，以…为基础的；
3. And they can have their passports removed, making leaving or escaping virtually impossible. (p2)
句子分析：have their passports removed是VOC结构，使have sth done句型的具体使用，表示宾语和动词之间是被动的关系，如：Last week I have my computer repaired.
making leaving or escaping virtually impossible是现在分词作结果状语，其中leaving or escaping是动名词，做making的宾语。virtually是几乎的意思，相当于almost.
4. In one of them, a Filipino maid was executed in Singapore after being convicted of murder, despite protests from various quarters that her guilt had not been adequately established. (p3)
句子分析：was executed表被动，after being convicted of murder是时间状语，请注意：being动名词，convicted被判罪，被动，词组：sb is convicted of sth 某人被判有…罪。如：
She has twice been convicted of fraud. (她已经两次被判犯有诈骗罪。)
that her guilt had not been adequately established是Protests的同位语从句，具体说明Protests的内容。from various quarters= from various places.
5. I was supposed to be paid ￡120 but I never received that amount. (p4)
句子分析：词组be supposed to do sth应该做某事，如：You are supposed to get there as early as possible.
be paid …被支付…钱。
He is paid 1000yuan for finishing such a task.
6. At the end of 1994, the British Government introduced new measures to help protect domestic workers from abuse by their employers. (p7)
句子分析：At the end of 1994时间状语，the British Government主语，introduced谓语，
new measures宾语，to help protect domestic workers from abuse by their employers是不定式做目的状语。词组：protect sb from sth保护…使之远离…
Each parent should protect their child from TV violence.
7. So if they do complain, they risk being deported. (p8)
句子分析：do complain:是谓语动词的强调形式，意思：的确抱怨道的话…前面大家曾经见过it is/was… that/who…的强调句型，它不能用来强调谓语，只能强调主语、宾语和状语，而要想强调谓语，只能借助于助动词do, does, did.
1). I do love you!
2). He does study very hard.
3). I did meet Bill Gates last week.
8. Allowing domestic workers the freedom to seek the same type of work but with a different employer, if they so choose, is what groups like Anti-Slavery International are campaigning the Government for. (p9)
句子分析：Allowing domestic workers the freedom to seek the same type of work but with a different employer是动名词短语作主语，其中to seek the same type of work but with a different employer是不定式作定语修饰the freedom，谓语是is, 后面的what groups like Anti-Slavery International are campaigning the Government for是表语从句。if they so choose是条件状语从句，做插入语。
9. It is, they say, the right to change employers which distinguishes employment from slavery. (p9)
句子分析：该句的主要形式是it is…引导的强调句。强调句子的主语the right to change employers. they say 是插入语。词组：distinguish A from B将A 同B区分开。
The twins are so alike that no one can distinguish one from the other.|